Thursday, March 13, 2008

Recovered and more tang yuan goodness!

After a gruesome 4-day battle with my sore throat, fever and my newfound medical allergy (I'm allergic to Ibuprofen and Aspirin by the way), I finally semi-recovered and went to my cousin's farewell dinner thingie at a not very yummy mah lah huo guo (spicy and supposedly numbing hot pot) place that I'm not even going to bother writing about. We did, however, visit a sweet soup place that I've been wanting to go for a while now.

This place has been open since 1951. I think it's been operated by the same family for 3 generations now. All their mochi are hand-made with glutinous rice, deep fried and dipped in either peanut powder (the sweet version) or dried mince pork and seaweed (salty version)

my camera phone really doesn't do much justice to the mochi. this is the salty version with some sort of minced meat (probaby pork) and seaweed. There's also some sort of crunchy stuff in the powder that I can't ID. Definitely not as yummy as the sweet version, but worth a try if you've never had it.

the mochi is very chewy and is served with a cup of tea.

the sweet version served with peanut powder. ssssooooo good.

i think they are suppose to be famous for their sweet peanut soup. I wasn't really in the mood for peanut soup but forced my cousin to get a bowl so I can taste/see it. Again. The picture doesn't do the soup justice (too steamy!). It really was very peanut-y but yet refreshing at the same time. We got the one with peanut, tang yuan and white auricularia (a type of fungi that's supposedly good for your skin) .

sweet red bean soup with tang yuan, red bean and lotus seed. it was yummy as it wasn't too sweet, too watery or too bland.


雙連圓仔湯
Address:台北市大同區民生西路136號
Telephone:02-25597595

No comments: